In the Rails 3 timeframe, I would like Rails to...

Api for creating admin interface easily (like django)

I hate creating dozens of CRUDS for admin areas for some of applications. In many applications it can be done in the frontend, but there are situations when you just can't do that.

876 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

15 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adman65Adman65 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking about making something like this, but it should really a gem. It shouldn't be in the core. If it were to be an "official" gem I'd like that. Keep it as a gem so it can be isolated from core. This will allow it to be updated apart from the core by people who are more interested in it and produce changes faster upstream.

• drogusdrogus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it should not be in rails core. But just look at Merb. Almost everything is a plugin, core is really minimal. Even helpers are plugin.

Key point of this is *core team support* for this plugin

ActiveScaffold is good plugin but everyone that says "why should we write something like that? we have ActiveScaffold" basically haven't used django admin API.

• cainlevycainlevy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the one-time lead developer on ActiveScaffold, let me proclaim loudly that it should NOT be incorporated into Rails. Nor should anything like it.

Proof? I built most of it, and I no longer use it. Instead I have been working on a plugin called Presenting that is less hackish and works with Rails instead of against Rails.

I don't even think that an improved API is necessary to build these interfaces. My Presenting plugin works very well within the Rails 2.x code using a component-like architecture and zero invasive hacks.

• toddwftoddwf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like some others, I think ActiveScaffold should be used for admin interfaces if needed.I would support that it be recognized as a "first class citizen" of gems, but not incorporated into rails core

• nateleavittnateleavitt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I disagree with this one. I don't think it belongs. I think this should be a separate plugin/engine.

• oweffoweff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow no. Rails is a framework and the core should not include such an API.

An enhanced administration panel app is a perfect case for implementing slices/engines instead.

• panosjeepanosjee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah sure, it should not be my default there
        But since there is already the plugin for that then there is no point to continue this discussion :) The only problem with AS is that it lacks behind Rails for a small period due to lack of developers

• John YerhotJohn Yerhot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would hesitate incorporating ActiveScaffold or doing anything similar in Rails. Maybe I'm a purist, but I think any auto-admin interfaces would be better left as a Gem or plugin

Feedback and Knowledge Base