In the Rails 3 timeframe, I would like Rails to...

Unbind the framework from Test::Unit and Prototype

Nowadays, more and more people (like me) are using alternative testing solutions like BDD, or alternative Javascript/Ajax approaches like jQuery. Rails is bound to Test::Unit and Prototype right now, and this should be an open decission by the programmer, not by the framework itself... what do you think?

211 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    yizzreelyizzreel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nathan YoungmanNathan Youngman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's truly the best of both worlds, easy to get started, but without feeling stuck later on. Giving these choices, and out of the box Unobtrusive JavaSript, cause me appreciate the direction of Rails the same way as REST did back in 2006. Thx!

• yizzreelyizzreel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this goal already exists in the Rails 3.0 roadmap. This might be a small step, but necessary. And, as a side effect, it would be great if Rails 3.0 eliminates all those (annoying) pieces of inline javascript in its helpers (they remainds me some pagination module in Rails < 2)

Thanks @dhh for sharing your thoughts.

• dhhdhh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rails will always ship with opinions for the default frameworks, but using jquery and BDD or any other combo should be easy as pie to plug in. Def a big goal for Rails 3.0!

Feedback and Knowledge Base